Holiday Fact: Nearly 3 out of 4 Southern Californians report that it takes them more than four hours to prep their Thanksgiving meal, and almost 25% say it takes them all day. That’s a recipe for a lot of energy used and higher bills this holiday season!
With 66% of Southern Californians trying to conserve energy during the holidays because it helps them save on their bills, Conserve Energy SoCal is working to put energy conservation at the forefront during the holidays, encouraging residents to use less energy and opt for more cost-efficient alternatives. As your readers turn their ovens up, here are some tips to turn down the heat on their energy use and bills:
- Turn Down the Temp: save up to 10% on heating costs by lowering your furnace thermostat 3 to 5 degrees, if health permits. Instead of using your dishwasher’s drying cycle, let your holiday china air dry.
- Test Your Air Ducts: Leaky ducts can cost you 10 to 30% in heating and cooling costs.
- Light up the Night:60% of SoCal residents already use LED lights to decorate during the holidays, so join your neighbors in using LED lights to spread holiday cheer while saving money and energy.
- Cool Down: Save up to 10% on water heating costs by washing and rinsing clothes in cold water.
- Save with Holiday Discounts: holiday shopping season has great discounts so, if it’s time to replace old appliances, consider upgrading to ENERGYSTAR® certified products that use less energy and save money.
- Check out Cool Days, Cool Deals: Leave the work to the pros and save energy by getting out of the house enjoying the deals and discounts on food and fun activities across Southern California.
With the holidays just around the corner, it’s never too early to start making the right choices! For more information, check out ConserveEnergySoCal.com