- Las Vegas
- Special Reports
- Be The Change
- Connected Life: Technology, Art, and Culture
- Dating Emily
- Eclectic Global Nomad
- Forty Shades of Fitness
- Fear and Loathing in Antarctica
- Fun, Fit, Fashion Guru
- The Giraffe Life
- It’s Just A Thought … Spiritually Speaking!
- Kinsey’s VBlog
- Left Coast Logic
- Socially Awkward
- Recycled Recipes From Vintage Boxes
René van Slooten
- René van Slooten is a leading ‘Poe researcher’, who theorizes that Poe’s final treatise, ‘Eureka’, a response to the philosophical and religious questions of his time, was a forerunner to Einstein’s theory of relativity. He was born in 1944 in The Netherlands. He studied chemical engineering and science history and worked in the food industry in Europe, Africa and Asia.The past years he works in the production of bio-fuels from organic waste materials, especially in developing countries. His interest in Edgar Allan Poe’s ‘Eureka’ started in 1982, when he found an antiquarian edition and read the scientific and philosophical ideas that were unheard of in 1848. He became a member of the international ‘Edgar Allan Poe Studies Association’ and his first article about ‘Eureka’ appeared in 1986 in a major Dutch magazine. Since then he published numerous articles, essays and letters on Poe and ‘Eureka’ in Dutch magazines and newspapers, but also in the international magazines ‘Nature’, ‘NewScientist’ and TIME. He published the first Dutch ‘Eureka’ translation (2003) and presented two papers on ‘Eureka’ at the international Poe conferences in Baltimore (2002) and Philadelphia (2010). His main interest in ‘Eureka’ is its history and acceptance in Europe and its influence on philosophy and science during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Posts by René van Slooten:
The parliamentary elections in the Netherlands Wednesday produced a disastrous weakening of the left....
Europe is in political and social turmoil. There are many reasons for this situation,....
On this Veteran’s Day, we present an essay about U.S. Army veteran and....
Ethiopia is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with a....
In 1891 the Norwegian goverment challenged the nation's ship owners to start a....
In a recent article it was argued that Edgar Allan Poe and his wife....
Editor's Note: This essay first appeared on MysteriousWritings.com. It is published with permission. The American....
Human blood and body tissue contain 9 grams of salt per liter. This....
Will we soon have flying carpets? Skyscrapers without elevators? Airplanes without wings? We should....
During the harsh winter of 1944-1945 a large part of the German-occupied Netherlands....