LA Traffic Deaths In Mid 2021 On Pace To Exceed 2020 Figures - Los Angeles Post-ExaminerLos Angeles Post-Examiner

LA Traffic Deaths In Mid 2021 On Pace To Exceed 2020 Figures

Image by Gerhard G. from Pixabay

Data collected by the Los Angeles police department shows that as of July 2021, the number of people injured and killed by motorists in LA is about to surpass 2020 figures, according to a report on LAist. More than six months into 2021, the general manager of the Los Angeles transportation department, Seleta Reynolds, said her staff has observed that congestion and traffic volumes are back.

Last year, many people believed that fewer cars on the roads would result in low road accident death rates. The sad reality is that more open roads in LA and other cities in the US enticed drivers to drive too fast. As a result, there was a higher rate of deadly crashes, and the death toll was nearly unchanged from LA’s traffic fatality increase in 2019. If you’re like many commuters, you’re probably thinking, are the roads safer than before? Below are a few statistics to help you understand the state of road safety in LA.

Rise In Hit-And-Run Cases 

One of the key factors affecting road safety in Los Angeles is hit-and-run road accidents. In the first six months of 2021, fatal hit-and-run crashes increased to 25%, while severe cases increased 20%. Hit-and-run crashes occur when a driver crashes into another car or hits a pedestrian or cyclist, and then flees the crash scene. It’s worth noting that running away from a car accident scene could lead to hefty fines or a jail term. So, instead of leaving the scene, stay and follow the right steps after a road crash.

DUI Crash Figures Increased

Data shared by LAPD reveal that DUI crashes that involve serious injuries have risen to 73%, and fatal DUI road accidents have increased by 9%. There are many consequences of drunk driving, such as imprisonment, driver’s license revocation or suspension, vehicle impoundment, and increased insurance rates.

While imposing hefty penalties and installing ignition interlock or breath test devices at driver’s expense are practical ways to reduce the rate of DUI crashes, it’s wise to sue drunk drivers. So, if you or a loved one are injured in a road accident due to impaired driving, consult a lawyer. Typically, seeking the services of an auto accident lawyer helps you receive compensation for injuries, medical expenses, and lost wages. Filing an injury claim against a driver goes beyond getting a settlement. It helps hold them accountable for their actions, which in turn helps them rethink their driving habits.

High Rate Of Crashes Involving Pedestrians 

According to Reynolds, the number of pedestrians killed in road accidents in 2021 is almost even with last year’s statistics. Halfway through 2021, 56 pedestrians died in crashes compared to 60 in 2020. The rate of pedestrians seriously injured in crashes was up 45%. With this in mind, making roads safer for pedestrians should be a top priority. This step entails redesigning the streets to accommodate jaywalkers and cyclists, reducing speed limits, and implementing strict traffic regulations to combat drunk and distracted driving.

In 2020, people believed road accidents would be fewer since road traffic had reduced significantly, but that wasn’t the case. And as people reopen businesses, road traffic accidents in LA are rising at a high rate. As of July 2021, the rate of DUI crashes was 20% overall, fatal hit-and-run cases were 25%, and pedestrian crashes were up 45%.


About the author

Cassandra Winter is a professional writer and editor. After a career in PR for an arts charity, she now focuses on writing about her favourite topics from public art to restoration and events. When not working she loves swimming, hiking and quiet nights in with her family. Contact the author.
COMMENT POLICY

Comments are closed.

HOME / ABOUT / CONTACT / JOIN THE TEAM / TERMS OF SERVICE / PRIVACY POLICY / COMMENT POLICY

Los Angeles Post-Examiner