Football is one of the most popular sports in the world. When it comes to the biggest transfer deadline deals, there are quite a few in the pipeline. Billions and trillions of dollars are spent every year by clubs to get hold of some of the best players. The likes of Maradona, Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo, and countless other superstars are purchased by different clubs at jaw-dropping amounts.
These deals take place between clubs from all over the world. Whether it is English Premier League, the Spanish League or the Italian Football League, every year, these transfers of footballers take place. Often, clubs decide to retain certain players, who performed exceptionally well in the previous seasons. Do you have any idea how much it costs to have Messi play for a club? He is considered to be one of the greatest players in the modern era, and he is a striker. Strikers always command more value. However, even less renowned footballers are earning billions. It is a web of money.
Club football has certainly raised the level of the game to a great extent. However, according to the experts, the fact that they play throughout the year, and sustain different types of injuries, decreases their fitness level and makes them tired. This has been pointed out as one of the major reasons by the experts as to why some of the great names of the game could not put in their 100% in bigger events like the World Cup, Copa America, and other international events.
Nevertheless, club football is the primary source of income for these footballers, and over the years, the price has increased considerably.
Are you wondering what the deal money could be? You would be shocked to learn the amount. In the following section of this article, you will be given a brief insight into some of the most expensive deals when it comes to club football.
Some of the Biggest Football Transfer Deals
Here is a brief insight into some of the biggest football deals that have happened to date. Be prepared to be mesmerized.
- Neymar – From Barcelona to PSG: When Neymar moved from Barcelona to PSG, he doubled the world record. This is considered to be the biggest football transfer of all time. When bonuses and wages are added to it, it comes down to more than half a billion U.S dollars.
- Kylian Mbappe – This teenager from France came onto the scene of world football after an incredible season with Monaco. After a year, PSV Eindhoven agreed to a one-year deal with him and he was paid an amount of €180m! It needs to be mentioned in this context that Mbappe is regarded to be the best under 21 footballer in the world.
- Philippe Coutinho – Liverpool to Barcelona: Coutinho started his club football career in Liverpool. Right from day one, he made it clear that he was aiming for something bigger. He moved to Barcelona in 2018, at a price of £142m, along with different other add-ons.
- Ousmane Dembele – Dortmund to Barcelona: This teenager is a footballer with immense potential, and is likely to see a hike of 40% in his fees. The deal could reach €147m. Besides, there are various other add-ons which he would be entitled to.
- Paul Pogba – Juventus to Manchester United: Pogba is one of the most popular names in the domain of international football. He was signed in by Manchester United from Juventus. In 2002, he was taken back by Juventus from MU at an amount of £500,000.
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Real Madrid to Juventus: This name needs no introduction. Considered to be one of the greatest of all time, Ronaldo signed for £88m, in 2018. This deal came as a real shocker to the entire football fraternity and is considered to be one of the most expensive deals.
- Gareth Bale – Tottenham to Real Madrid: In the year 2013, Gareth Bale was sold by Tottenham to Real Madrid at a price of £85.3m, in 2013. According to some experts, this was a deal which was not what the football world expected.
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Man United to Real Madrid: Here he is again! This time, Ronaldo got transferred from Manchester United to Real Madrid at a jaw-dropping price of £80m. This happened in 2009.
- Gonzalo Higuain – Napoli to Juventus: This mild fielder from Argentina was transferred to Juventus from Napoli at a price of £75.3m, in 2016
- Romelu Lukaku – Everton to Manchester United: This striker, who has played most of his club football in Everton, got transferred to Manchester United, in 2017, at a price of £75m.
These are some of the biggest deals that have happened in world football. It needs to be mentioned in this regard, that the value and price of the footballers, in the European circuit has increased tremendously over the last couple of decades. These professional footballers are paid amounts which make them the richest sportspeople in the world. More and more new talent is coming up, and is being tracked by all the big football clubs. Therefore, a constant catfight is going on between them, as to who will grab the best players.
A very stiff competition exists between these clubs when it comes to buying players. This is one of the reasons why the amount of money keeps increasing considerably. When it comes to big names, there is no end to what these clubs can quote! Apart from the ones mentioned above, there are many high-value deals which have taken place over the years. Given the increasing popularity of the game, and the fact that new talents are emerging every day, the money game is going to attain new heights in the days to come.