The law profession is a highly lucrative career. Clients pay hefty amounts to save their reputation and their future. No wonder, it’s hard to see a lawyer who is not rich. And so, you might wonder who among your list of potential defense lawyers are truly passionate in helping their clients and who among them is the wisest and most experienced in handling cases similar to yours.
After all, you wouldn’t want to waste your money on someone who can’t give the best defense against the prosecution on your behalf. That makes the selection process extra challenging. But one way you can assess whether a lawyer would be a good fit for your case is to ask the right questions during the interview process. Take note, too: It is your right to interview them before you hire one. It’s not that you don’t trust them. You only want to make sure you will be in good hands.
What are some of the questions that can help you assess a potential legal representative?
Ask About Background and Experience
Right from the get-go, narrow down your choices by considering only the defense lawyers who specialize in particular legal charges similar to yours. You can ask:
- How long have you been in practicing your law career?
- What kinds of cases have you handled in the past?
- What is your experience in handling cases similar to mine?
- How many times have you handled trials?
Pay attention in particular to the answer for the last question. Many defense lawyers solve cases by negotiating a plea bargain with the prosecution. That means the case doesn’t need to be taken in the courtroom for the trial.
However, if there’s a higher percentage that you will undergo trial, you need a legal representative who knows the local courts very well and displays confidence during hearings. For example, if you’re facing charges or being investigated in Nashville, you can talk to a PNC Law Criminal Defense Attorney immediately.
Know What’s the Outlook of the Case
It is important to be honest with your attorney when relating your side of the story. That’s also the best way you can find out what outcome you can expect. Know the answers to these:
- What possible penalties am I facing if proven guilty?
- Are the pieces of evidence and testimonies plotted against me strong enough to lead me to possible conviction?
A good lawyer will also be open about the legal consequences you’ll possibly face. He will tell you how big your chances of getting acquitted or reducing the penalties.
Learn What Options are there to Solve the Legal Matter
There are usually various options in solving legal charges. You should ask your lawyer what are some of the steps you can do.
- What documents would you need from me that will help solve the matter?
- Will you hire investigators to collect proofs and witnesses in my defense?
- Should I plead guilty, undergo a trial or consider a plea agreement?
Ask thorough explanation from your lawyer for each option available. For example, what are the possible consequences when you agree to a guilty plea? You can also read about that here.
Find Out How Your Case Will be Handled
In some instances, the lawyer would need assistance from the rest of his legal defense team. You should inform him if you’re not okay with that. Perhaps, you might be trusting only that one attorney alone and you don’t wish to work with someone else. You may inquire about other topics as well.
- For example, how can I talk to you if I have questions? Should I call you or meet with you personally?
- How often should we meet to discuss the case?
- If we need more persons in the legal defense team, who do you suggest and why?
- Are you going to represent me in court trial? If not, who?
It is very important to know how your case will be handled. Remember, it can make or break your reputation and even your future.
Last but not least, ask about the fees that will be incurred. You need to be financially prepared for the whole duration of the case. You can also ask your lawyer if you can find other options that are economical in terms of time and financial expenses.