Usually, the tiffin box of any average office-goer will consist of a couple of sandwiches and probably a couple of eggs. Add to that, a can of standard or diet coke at the most to gulp the same food every day. However, if you think out of the box and add variety to your office snacks you can easily make your food interesting and even stay healthy and more productive in your workplace.
Here are a few non-conventional snacks that you can take to your office and eat when you are hungry in the afternoons. All these options are easy to make and the ingredients are easily available. Most importantly, these options will not cost you a lot of money, time or hassle in making.
Cherry tomatoes with mozzarella
Both cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese is good and popular by itself and when you combine these two you will get a snack and flavor match that will seem to made in heaven. What is more, these are healthy as well.
- Cherry tomatoes are a rich source for potassium, vitamin C, and lycopene which is a useful antioxidant that has enough potential to reduce the risks of cancer and heart diseases.
- Mozzarella cheese, on the other hand, is a rich source of calcium, protein, and vitamin B12. This also has significant potential to reduce the risks of heart diseases as it will increase the level of the good HDL cholesterol in your blood.
Therefore, when you combine a cup of cherry tomatoes with 2 ounces of mozzarella you will get all these benefits along with an assurance that your calorie intake will be well below 200.
Chia seed pudding
Every now and then if not more frequently you can consider taking chia seed pudding to add Variety Fun to your tiffin box. This contains loads of fiber and a very high content of antioxidant that will reduce inflammation and improve the condition of your heart. The most significant factor of chia seed pudding is that you can include this with any type of diet whether it is ketogenic or vegan. Once again your calorie intake will be less than 200 which is another benefit of it.
It is very simple and fast to make as well. The chia seed pudding ingredients include:
- A tablespoon of chia seeds
- Half a cup of water
- A tablespoon of cocoa powder
- A tablespoon peanut butter and
- Stevia or any other sweetener if you desire.
All you have to do is soak the chia seeds in water in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes at least. Before having it, mix the cocoa powder, sweetener and peanut butter to get a healthy snack.
Baby carrots with blue cheese
You may know that carrots are very good for health as these are a rich source of carotenoids that includes beta carotene which is converted further into vitamin A by your body. The carotenoid scan reduces risks of heart disease, cancer, and cataracts.
It will make a very good and healthy snack if you pair the carrots with blue cheese or any other creamy salad dressing if you do not get blue cheese. The fat will increase the absorption of carotenoids present in the carrots.
It is found that if you eat 3.5 ounces of baby carrots dressed with 2 tablespoons of blue cheese it will provide you with 200 calories.
A cheese cube
There are lots of studies conducted on cheese and its health benefits considering the fact that it is high in saturated fat. The study results show that:
- The saturated fat in cheese does not actually raise the risk of heart disease
- Tw0 servings of cheese a day is feasible and will not raise the level of LDL cholesterol levels even if you have high cholesterol and
- About 2 ounces of cheese will provide 200 calories of energy and about 14 grams of protein.
Therefore, make sure that you place a slice of cheese on your bread or have it simply. This is delicious food and a piece of cheese is quite filling and is therefore considered to be a snack on its own.
Beef jerky or sticks
This is another healthy option that you can consider to carry in your tiffin box. These are a very good source of protein making it a very popular portable snack item.
- However, it is required that you select the right type of beef jerky because there are a few that may have preservatives or may be loaded with sugar.
- On the other hand, the beef sticks may not contain sugar but in most cases, these are not made from top quality meat and may also contain other inferior ingredients.
The best type of beef jerky and beef sticks to buy are those that are made from grass-fed beef rather than grain fed beef. Ensure it has as little ingredient as possible probably only with salt for enjoying the health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids and protein of grass-fed beef.
Whey protein shake
You can also consider having a whey protein shake if you want to have something more filling in between your meals. Whey protein helps in many different ways including:
- Helping you to gain muscle
- Helping to lose fat and
- Improve body composition.
Whey protein shake will contain about 20 to 25 grams of protein and 150 to 200 calories, depending on the type of protein powder used.
You can buy whey protein shake from online or offline store but make sure that you buy only those that do not contain any added sugar, especially the whey protein supplements.
If you want to be on the safe side, you can even make it at home. The ingredients are easy to get and the process is very simple to follow. You will require unsweetened almond milk, whey powder, a healthy sweetener if wanted and crushed ice. Combine all these ingredients in a blender and run it till it makes a smooth solution.
And you thought eggs and sandwiches are the only good snacks!